For those of you who don’t know, this Wednesday is my birthday. In honor of my birthday, I’m giving you (my blog readers) a gift: a new Digital Mix CD. As I’ve done in the past, I’ve compiled a playlist of songs centered around a specific theme, uploaded them to the web in a .zip file, and made them available to you!
This time around, the theme is related to my birthday. It just so happens that I was born in Germany. I lived there for my first few months of life before we moved back to Minnesota. In honor of my international history, this Digital Mix is entitled New World Music. Most music we listen to is probably made by bands based in either the U.S., the U.K., or Canada. Every so often a band from the world at large will make a significant leap into the spotlight (e.g. U2 [Ireland]), but it’s not everyday. So this playlist highlights some indie bands from around the world that didn’t grow up speaking English (though they may now).
Tracklist and country of origin:
- Kent – Dom Andra [Sweden]
- Magyar Posse – Whirlpool of Terror and Tension [Finland]
- Gaate – Knut Liten Og Sylvelin [Norway]
- The Knife – Silent Shout [Sweden]
- Mew – Apocalypso [Denmark]
- Dungen – Familj [Sweden]
- Bic Runga – Sway [New Zealand]
- Amiina – Seoul [Iceland]
- Sebastien Schuller – Weeping Willow [France]
- Mugison – 2 Birds [Iceland]
- Seu Jorge – Tive Razao [Brazil]
- Mono – The Remains of the Day [Japan]
- Johann Johannsson – Part V – The Sun’s Gone Dim and the Sky’s Turned Black [Iceland]
I hope you enjoy these songs!